Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Home Sweet Humidity

Today marks the first full day we have spent in Merida, Mexico. We arrived late last night after two flights and a layover in Houston, Texas. The flights went well, Millie was awesome! She pretty much conked out at the perfect time each flight, I admit we did drug her a little. The tiniest drop of children's Benadryl worked wonders. It's a good thing we did, because she was quite a ball of energy when awake. Three hours of that cooped in a plane coud be a little much for me!

In Houston we found out I didn't have a seat on the plane, due to overbooking the flight (which I think should be illegal), so I was technically on standby, waiting for a seat to open up. So after a nervous hour or so, and about ten minutes before the flight was to depart, I was informed I had a seat. Hallelujah! A woman waiting nearby us during the ordeal offered to switch seats with Bryan when she heard the seat I was given was next to her. It was very nice of her, as our seats were considered "premium" because it was the first row directly behind first class. We had a lot more leg room, which was nice. Bryan enjoyed watching most of the first half of the Oregon-Auburn football championship game on the plane before it cut out somewhere over the gulf of Mexico. I've never seen someone so enthralled with the tiny little screen in front of them on the airplane! He was even doing the play call signals with his arms, it was quite amusing.

After the long cutom lines and Millie dazzling all the other travelers in line with her clapping and blowing kisses, we walked out into the humid 80ish degree Mexican night. What a change from the cold Utah winter! I have been waiting for this liquid air for months! Goodbye dry-cracked hands and bloody noses and hello soft-skin (to go along with a great tan, i predict)! Wa hoo!

The taxi driver to our hostel was very friendly. He spoke great English because he lived in California twenty years ago. When he found out we were from Utah, "Mormons?" he asked, he mentioned his wife and son were members. He also proceeded to inform us about the beautiful temple here in Merida and it's gold statue of Joseph Smith on top. Cute.

El Jardin is the Hostel we are staying in for four days while we look for a permanent place to live. Although, this is like no hostel I ever experienced while living in China. No communal bathrooms and sleeping on bunkbeds in rooms to fill six to twelve people. We have a good-sized room to ourselves and a private bathroom. Outside our room is the courtyard with a little patio and a table and chairs. Trees, plants, and paintings done by the hostel's owner, Elsy, surround us. The sound of the cars whizzing by is the only reminder that we are smack center in downtown Merida. It really is a nice place here. I especially love Elsy, the owner. She is so nice. And she can speak pretty good English, which I appreciate since I haven't learned much Spanish yet.

Late this morning, we set out to see some of the city with Tyson, one of the other exchange students from UVU who also flew down with us and is staying in the same hostel (the other two guys arrive tomorrow). It's a little difficult to walk and explore here because the sidewalks are so skinny, you really can only walk single file. And there were so many people out walking that i thought if I slowed down or stopped, I might get run over by the people that were practically walking on my heels!

We first exchanged our money, then found ourselves at the Centro or Rectory building, basically the administration building for the University. The architecture of the many arches was beautiful, and it had a really neat couryard in the center. I think I've decided I'm a huge fan of these mexican courtyards! We met a man here who hooked us up with a lady that took us to see a house that is available to rent. It was fine, but I didn't like that it had so many rooms that other people I didn't know could rent too, in fact there already is a Canadian guy living there. We are not sure what we are going to do about housing. We have been told that sharing a house (us plus the three other UVU guys) is the cheapest way to do it. I guess if we find the right set-up I would be okay with that, but we will see. We go tomorrow morning to look at some other places.

I think Millie loves Mexico, she was so good all day, even during our stroll around town in the heat. She was completely content. She has been blowing kisses like crazy to everyone, often without being asked. It's so darn cute!

Bryan and I (and Millie) are loving Mexico so far. What a great opportunity for us. Now I just need to turn my brain onto the Spanish station:)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you started this blog - I feel like I've experienced a little of Mexico myself, thanks to your details and pictures. Will eagerly watch for the next post!

    ReplyDelete