Sunday, January 23, 2011

Internet?

It has been difficult posting very much the last few days because we don’t have internet at our house yet. We have purchased the service, but are waiting for the installers to come and set it up. Actually, I think they have tried to come. The other day just Millie and I were home, and a man rings the doorbell on our gate (that’s what I love about this house…people can’t even get close to our house without a key to the padlock on our gate. Needless to say, I feel safe living here). Anyway, I came out to try to figure out what he wanted, of course we couldn’t understand each other. He kept saying what sounded like “deli?” so I thought maybe he was trying to sell me something. There are a lot of vendors that drive around on tricycles that carry food to sell, while they honk the most annoying one-note horn. It’s like the Mexican ice-cream man.
Anyway, I told the guy “no, gracias.” He left and as he drove away, I noticed there was a ladder in the back of his truck. I’m thinking now that he may have been saying “tele” which refers to cable service, which is what our internet is through. Darn it, I could have had internet days ago and now I have to wait another week or more. Oh well, I feel it’s better safe than sorry, I’m not about to let a strange Mexican man into the house when I’m home alone, even if it is the internet man.
In the meantime, we go to Santiago Park just a few blocks from our house, maybe a five minute walk or less. There is free Wi-fi there, at least the times that you can actually pick it up. So this is where I sit with my laptop just long enough to get some homework for my online classes done, before Millie is completely done with sitting there in her stroller and eating crackers. I love going to this park though. There is a beautiful cathedral there, a few little outdoor places to eat, and the market we shop at is right across the street. There are always lots of people at the park. Among them is always a couple or two macking on each other. Ug. But there are also always people feeding the many pigeons that hang around. And of course everyone, even the little kids come up to Millie and talk to her.
This is where I find this culture interesting. Yes, I believe my baby is gorgeous enough to elicit all sorts of attention, or cause people to stop in their tracks and stare at her. What can I say? We created a masterpiece!  But here, complete strangers come right up and start talking to her, tickling her, and dare I say, kiss her. Last Saturday night, a group of us were walking around the central square of Merida, which is always busy with locals and tourists, along with plenty of entertainers and vendors trying to make a buck, I mean peso. Anyway, we are just walking along, and out of nowhere a man who looks as if he is either A)wasted, B)stoned, or C)crazy, walks straight to Millie, leans down and kisses her on the forehead. My shock turns to the creepy-crawlies when he straightens up , looking right at me with an evil-eye as if I’m scum or something. It was really REALLY CREEPY! So I bolted outta there and tried to wash my baby’s face off the best I could. Now whenever I walk past that particular area in the square, I remember the crazy kissing man.

No comments:

Post a Comment